This letter follows up on the Community Life Council meeting held on April 9. The meeting was very well attended and I am grateful for all those who participated. Of course there are many more cathedral members who couldn’t be there, so, in the interest of transparency, this letter contains the gist of my presentation. I apologize for its length, but there is a lot to share!
Here’s what you will read in this letter:
- Although we expect to close on the land sale very shortly, our operating expenses will still exceed our income, as has been the case for several years.
- Chapter is planning for a reduction in our operating expenses of about $150,000 in 2020, in order to create a balanced budget without drawing from reserves.
- We are aiming for values of transparency, engagement, sustainability, and transformation as we plan and communicate this adjustment.
- The adjustments touch most ministry areas, but especially Spanish-language ministry, formation, hospitality, and worship bulletins.
- We will, with great sadness, lose two part-time staff positions and reduce another, but Chapter has emphasized the priority of people over paper and has chosen an option which minimizes staff impact.
- Even though this is painful, we see opportunities for positive growth in our community and fellowship.
So, to the details.