- 1 quart whole or 2% milk
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 4 cups NON-ultra pasteurized half & half
- 1 cup NON-ultra pasteurized heavy cream
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 tsp salt
Fromage Blanc (aka Farmer’s Cheese!)
- 1 quart of whole or 2% milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp of vinegar (any type) or lemon juice
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 quart of whole, 2%, or soy milk
- 2 tbsp of yogurt that’s already made, or some “yogurt starter” according to package instructions
Variations: Can use coconut milk, or nut milk (made by blending equal parts water and nuts). Can use the coconut milk in place of the water when making nut milk. Harder nuts require pre-soaking for several hours.
Labneh (Middle Eastern Yogurt Cheese)
Follow instructions for yogurt above. After yogurt has developed for 6-12 hours, pour into a cheesecloth-lined colander over a catch bowl. Tie the corners of the cloth into a ball, wrap the ends around a wooden spoon, and rest the spoon over the catch bowl or the edges of your sink, allowing it to drain for 8-12 hours. When finished, use as a sweet or savory spread, adding salt and herbs or use with honey, cinnamon, and dried fruit.