Sunday, January 24, 2010

Eucharistic Ministers and Cathedral Visitors

John 14:12 “Truly, truly I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do…..”

I never feel so close to Jesus as when I am living out this message as part of the Pastoral Care ministry we call Eucharistic Ministers and Cathedral Visitors. These ‘works’ which carry Jesus’ love to those who are hospitalized, bed ridden or just unable to leave their homes, are at the heart of our Cathedral family. When the EMs take Holy Communion to a shut-in, Jesus acts through them. When a Cathedral Visitor befriends a shut-in, providing the hospitality and friendship of a fellow member of the St. Paul family, Jesus acts through them.

It is my honor to help organize this Ministry and we have wonderful dedicated volunteers. They find that their own faith expanded and nurtured by what they do. It is my hope that in the coming months you will hear from them on this Blog.

As you read these words, do you feel called by God to explore the possibility that you might become a Eucharistic Minister or Cathedral Visitor? Or have you been a part of this ministry, taken some time off and now feel you are ready to resume your commitment? If either is the case, let Canon Brooks Mason or The Rev. Anne Chisham know. When I return from Melanesia, on Feb. 19th, we will plan a get-together to talk about this vital part of who we are as a congregation.

Matthew 25:40 “And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’ “


Rev. Dorothy Curry is a Canon for Pastoral Care

No comments: