Sunday, January 3, 2010

What is an Episcopalian? Samantha's story

Although I wasn’t baptized until I was 6 (my parents lived in an area with only a Catholic and a Presbyterian church), I am basically a “cradle Episcopalian.” From the age of 6 to about19, I attended church, was an acolyte, confirmed at the age of 11, and served at the Christmas Midnight Mass every year. Over time, I fell away from the church, as I got busy at University, questioned my beliefs, etc. I spent 20 years away thinking about God, where I fit in the universe, man’s inhumanity to man, while never losing the basic ethical code instilled from childhood.

An interesting thing happened about 2 years ago – I started thinking about going back to church at the same time that my adopted brother (met in college, loved by me and my entire family) was having a deep spiritual experience that eventually led him to the Episcopal church. One day we were talking and it came up that he was interested in attending services; he had done some research to find an appropriate parish and we wound up at St Paul’s. We eventually both signed up for the “What is an Episcopalian?” class. For him it provided the background and history of the church, but for me it provided the opportunity to come back with the open eyes of an adult. Throughout my youth, church had been something to be done - go, serve, no thought required. Coming to the church as an adult is a very different experience and the class was a good refresher, and a great way to meet people at St Paul’s. I had thought it would be mostly people who are new to both St Paul’s and the church, but found quite a few people who had been here for quite awhile before attending class, and a couple who were also cradle Episcopalians.

I learned about St Paul’s at the class – that it was okay to not believe exactly as stated, that everyone has some differences of faith. Taking this journey with my brother has made it very special to me, and watching him be baptized was a deeply moving experience.

Samantha Tweeten



What is an Episcopalian? begins Weds, Jan 13. This fellowship and shared learning experience also serves as preparation for those interested in Baptism, Confirmation, Reception or for those who want to Reaffirm their commitment to ministry in Christ. All are always welcome. Register with the Rev. Canon Allisyn Thomas (619) 298-7261 x333 or thomasA@stpaulcathedral.org.

No comments: