Friday, December 30, 2011

What is an Episcopalian? Joselyn's story

I want to thank Reverend Canon Allisyn Thomas for asking me to write this, and to Melinda for helping say what I really mean.

Before I tell you my experience in the class, I should tell you why we decided to attend this class. Both Melinda and I are extremely interested in history in general (and religious history in particular), so we thought we would attend the classes to increase our knowledge on where the Episcopal church came from, and what the Church had become; besides, there was also the food! We knew how good the food was at St. Paul’s.

At St. Paul’s, both Mel and I found what were initially looking for, and that was a spiritual community. We very quickly found when we got to the class that this community was much deeper and richer than we knew. This was after just a couple of classes, but I digress. You see, the first time we signed up, neither one of us could complete the classes because I had knee surgery, and Melinda was instrumental in my recovery, which lasted over two months. When the classes were offered again we knew we were going to take them.

The second time we took the classes, we experienced all of the same feelings of belonging just like the first time we took the classes. There was acceptance for our scriptural beliefs in class, but the entire class not always in agreement with one another.

The presenters were great - they spoke very clearly about the Church, whether it was positive or negative. And if you did not understand, they were patient to explain. Not only were the presenters respectful, but so were the attendees. What we had learned every week we went home and discussed, increasing our knowledge about the current and past Church. (Matthew 45:25) We found like us, that the people of our Church believed it was important to give to others. I am not going speak for Melinda; anybody who knows us knows that we are connected at the hip, but do not always agree. People also know that anything I write, she edits. What I learned was a deepening of my faith.

I also realized that I was a Christian, and that I could be a Christian.
 

Joselyn Harris


What is an Episcopalian? begins Jan 11. This fellowship and shared learning experience also serves as preparation for those interested in Baptism, Confirmation, Reception or for those who want to Reaffirm their commitment to ministry in Christ. All are always welcome. Register online, or call the Rev. Canon Allisyn Thomas (619) 298-7261 x333 or thomasA@stpaulcathedral.org.

No comments: