Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What is an Episcopalian? Gabe's story


I attended the What is an Episcopalian class because I was going to get confirmed, and all youth in the parish take the What is an Episcopalian class while doing home study with their family. I was the only youth to get confirmed and take the class last year. Even though I was the only teenager in the class, I always felt welcomed and I met people in the class who are my friends today. The class created a real community of people within St. Paul’s.

I came to the Episcopal Church after several years of attending a Catholic Church and school. I was interested in the class because I wanted to learn about the Episcopal Church besides wanting to get confirmed in it. It turns out that I learned a lot more in that class than I learned in all the years of Catholic school about religion generally, the Bible and the church. The most important thing I learned is that it is ok to ask questions about God and religion. Sometimes asking questions about doubts you have can lead to the most learning. It was nice to learn about the history of the church and not have the message be how great the church is but rather how the church is a way to find out more about Jesus and to deepen your relationship with God.

The speakers were really great and talked about many different aspects of the church and religion—about the Bible, church history, the Prayer Book, music and stewardship. These are only some of what's presented. The speakers were interesting and willing to answer any questions you have.

The class started every week with great food for only $5—and you could come back for seconds. It was really nice to have dinner with and meet different people each week.

During the class I was inspired to get more involved in the Diocesan Youth program, as well as our own Youth program. I attended the Diocesan convention and I was a staff on a weekend for Middle School students.

What is an Episcopalian is a great class I would recommend for youth and adults alike.

Gabe Hulbert 


 What is an Episcopalian? begins Jan 11. This fellowship and shared learning experience also serves as preparation for those interested in Baptism, Confirmation, Reception or for those who want to Reaffirm their commitment to ministry in Christ. All are always welcome. Register online , or call the Rev. Canon Allisyn Thomas (619) 298-7261 x333 or thomasA@stpaulcathedral.org.

No comments: