Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Help Gabe Hulbert re-landscape at St Paul's!

Dear SPC Friends,

I’m Gabriel Hulbert, a member of St Paul’s Cathedral and a Boy Scout in San Diego Troop 295. I am seeking the highest rank in Boy Scouts, Eagle Scout. This requires completion of an Eagle Scout project, which I plan to perform at St. Paul’s Episcopal Cathedral.  But I need your support.

My Eagle Scout project seeks to assist our church community by replacing the grass and other plants at St. Paul’s with drought tolerant plants, in areas on Nutmeg St. and 5th and 6th Avenues (see the picture at right). By putting these plants in place, the water bill at St. Paul’s will be significantly lower than its current rate, the Cathedral will use fewer pesticides, we will occupy a smaller carbon footprint, and we will serve as an example of water wise gardening to our community (especially for adjacent Balboa Park).

You can see what we plan in the second photo. In 2009, the parking lot beds of the Cathedral were planted with drought tolerant plants but St. Paul’s did not have sufficient funds to continue around the church. My project will complete the installation.

I have scheduled the project to be completed on June 16th and June 23rd but I need your help! Many of the plants I plan to install are expensive, and to implement the project I must raise all the funds, estimated at over $7000.

I am writing this letter to ask you to donate any amount of money you can in order to help achieve this goal so that we can install this garden. Any donations to this project of any amount are greatly appreciated; as economic times are tough for many of us, no donation is too small. And any donation you make is tax deductible.

Here’s how to help: you can make a check out to St. Paul’s Cathedral or BSA Troop 295, Please put Gabe Hulbert Eagle Project in the note area of the check.

You can mail your check to: St. Paul’s Cathedral, 2728 6th Ave., San Diego, CA 92103 Attn: B. Oslie/C. Spalding, or to me at 6772 Elmore St., San Diego, CA 92111.

Donations of time are also welcome.  If you are in San Diego June 16th or June 23rd, I'd be grateful if you could come to St. Paul’s and volunteer to help complete the project!

If you have any questions feel free to contact me at gabe4padres@yahoo.com.

Thanks for your help!

-Gabe Hulbert

No comments: