The race starts early in the morning (6.15/6.45) right in front of St Paul's. Roads in the immediate area will start to open around 8, but others will remain closed till 2.
However, because the Marathon winds around quite a bit (Down Park Ave to downtown, up to MIssion Bay, back through Mission Valley, up to North Park on 163, and back downtown), your access to the Cathedral may still be affected.
The race finishes downtown at Petco. Organizers are recommending participants take shuttles or park downtown, so hopefully our parking will not be too affected once you get here!
Major points to note:
- 163 North will be closed.
- 163 south will be open, but there will be some ramp closures, including in Mission Valley. From 163, you will need to exit on Washington and come down 4th Ave, rather than exit at University.
- 5 south will be open, but you will not be able to use the Washington or Laurel exits. You'll have to go down to 2nd/front, and come back up 3rd.
- 5 north will be open, but there are a lot of ramp closures--check the map!
- 6th Ave will be closed. 4th and 5th will be open.
- Parts of University will be closed.
- Lots of closures in Hillcrest and North Park.
These PDF files provide full closure information