Tuesday, September 30, 2014

New Call for the Rev. Canon Albert Ogle

Dear friends at St. Paul’s

After a long summer of supplying in Palm Springs this summer, I am looking forward to preaching this coming Sunday (October 5th) at the 8 a.m. service (the one with the non-four legged friends on St. Francis Day!). We will announce an important transition regarding our shared ministries - I have been called by the congregation of St. Peter’s church, Lithgow as their XXX1st Vicar. The parish is about 90 minutes north of New York City and half of congregants lead active professional lives in Manhattan. So it is a wonderful honor to be called to this historic and vibrant community. The ministry also permits me to focus half my time on developing an East Coast office for the St. Paul’s Foundation with networks at the United Nations in NY and the World Bank in Washington DC. (Download press release here.)

After living more than half my life in California, this is a very big move.  

Over the six years I have shared in ministry with you the cathedral, it has been such an inspiration to share in the liturgical and outreach ministries of the parish. I also loved celebrating many marriages in this sacred space and the idea for the creation of the St. Paul’s Foundation, as many of you know, was inspired within your midst. I am grateful to all who supported this challenging work and for the members of our Board of Directors, Susan Guinn, Lindy Miles, Gary Voice and newly elected David Reicks who will ensure the San Diego Chapter of the Foundation remains on the cutting edge of helping good people like Angeline Jackson and Maxensia Nakibuuka. I am also grateful for Jim and Mary Keely for representing the Foundation on the Outreach Committee and ensuring this international ministry will continue.

There will be a cocktail reception for me and Maxensia (who returns to Uganda the next day) at Heat Bar and Kitchen on Tuesday 7th October from 6-8 p.m. and I hope you can join us and ensure the international ministry we share will continue to save and improve living conditions for LGBT people and allies. You may make reservations HERE.

An additional treat for the cathedral congregation (when I preach my final sermon on Sunday, November 16th) is to have Ugandan Bishop Christopher and Mary Senyonjo with us once again.

Without the support of this community, we would never have been able to support these courageous champions for justice and peace. I give thanks to God for what we have achieved together and hope the maturation of the Foundation with robust leadership on both coasts, will translate into greater resources and services for the most marginalized LGBT people on the planet. Thank you for all your love, prayers and support and as one of your own Canons. I look forward to returning from time to time to report on my new parish family in Millbrook (a beautiful spot in the Hudson Valley) as well as our international family. Please pray for us.

Blessings,

Rev. Canon Albert J. Ogle
Vicar of Lithgow

No comments: