Sunday, August 12, 2018

A Farewell Letter From Parishioner Jon F. Finley

Dear Friends at St. Paul’s Cathedral,

I want to express my sincere love for you, and deep gratitude for the ways you have welcomed me, nurtured me and loved me over the past ten years. When I came to St. Paul’s Cathedral I didn’t know I could be accepted as a gay man in a Christian community, and you have showed me that acceptance. You have loved me unconditionally, and I thank you!

I have struggled with health issues over the years, steadily declining in recent months. I never intended to leave this beautiful corner of the country, but the time has come for me to return home to Atlanta, Georgia. I am following the path laid out for me, and trusting that God will lead me home. I wish for you, the people of St. Paul’s Cathedral, to know that you have touched my life in ways I will never forget.

The most important thing about life is to leave this world better than you found it. You have done that, my friends. Through your care and support, you have taught me to love myself. You will always be an infinite source of strength and love for me, especially as I make this last journey home.

Each one of you has left an imprint on my heart. You have given my life love, support and friendship. I have been lucky to walk this way with you. I am grateful and I am at peace. And I wish you all the most happiness, love and joy that life can offer to each of you.

All my love,

Jon F. Finley

1 comment:

Unknown said...

God bless you, Jon as you journey home. Our love and prayers go with you. Mary & Jim Keeley