Thursday, March 17, 2011

Diocesan Convention: Post-convention reflections

Did you go to Diocesan Convention (Feb11-12 2011)? What's it about? Jill Sanford shares some reasons for going, and thoughts on having been.

Sandra Lawrensen and I were elected to be delegates from the Cathedral to this convention so our attendance was not optional. Other years we have gone voluntarily and here are some of my reasons::

1) I am basically somewhat nosy so attending helps me better understand how the diocese operates: who is in charge of what, what is being spent and for what, etc. Just helps me feel connected to a bigger picture of our Church.

2) I like to see who else is locally Episcopalian these days: what are they wearing, etc., and it is a chance to connect with folks I have met in past years from other churches.

3) At least once during the week-end, there is a chance to have a meaningful conversation with someone I would not have met any other place.

4) The Convention Eucharist is always moving, in part because of the amount of work it takes to coordinate so many participants, banners, choirs. It is a reminder of our shared theology that transcends contentious issues.

For those who have not yet attended a convention, I recommend going (at least once). It is a great way to see our church in action in the community.

My main impression after this year's convention is that we seem as a diocese to have moved past "drama", and can now focus on the environment and social programs.

Jill Sanford

A few additional notes: you can check out a draft of the strategic plan . You can also take a survey about it .

No comments: